Your home isn’t the only thing that needs a Spring Cleaning. Here are some tips on how to clean up your mobile devices.
3. HOW TO CONSERVE BATTERY
Check Battery Usage
Not sure what’s consuming your battery life so much?
- iOS 11 or later: Settings > Battery
- Android: Settings > Device > Battery
- Dial *#*#4636#*#* > Tap Battery Info
- Use Third-Party Apps to get a more detailed analysis of your battery usage
- GSam Battery Monitor
- Clean Master
Usually, your display is the top component on your device that is consuming battery. Dimming the brightness will improve battery life.
- iOS: Settings > Display & Brightness
- Adjust Brightness lower
- Set the Night Shift
- Adjust Auto-lock
- Toggle OFF Raise to Wake
- Swipe down from the top of the screen for the Notification Shade > Adjust brightness slider lower
- Notification Shade > Settings > Display > Toggle OFF Adaptive Brightness
- Notification Shade > Settings > Display > Toggle ON Ambient Display
- Notification Shade > Settings > Display > Sleep > Adjust time
- When you don’t need to be connected to a Wi-Fi network, you should toggle off your Wi-Fi connection so your device isn’t constantly searching/connecting to the nearest Wi-Fi signal.
- When you don’t need to be connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data, switch your device to Airplane mode so your device isn’t constantly searching for signal.
- When you don’t need Bluetooth enabled, toggle off Bluetooth so your device isn’t constantly searching for signal.
Background App Refresh
It’s always important to close your apps completely instead of just minimizing them. And then, even when you’ve closed out an app, the app might be automatically set to refresh in the background without you knowing.
- iOS: Settings > General > Background App Refresh > Toggle OFF completely or Toggle OFF for certain apps
- Android: Swipe down from the top of the screen for Notification Shade > Settings > Data Usage > Tap the 3 dots on the top right > Restrict background data > OK
Similarly to background app refresh, location services also tends to sneak up on you. Location services might be searching in the background and draining your battery.
- iOS: Settings > Privacy > Location Services >Toggle OFF or tap on app and set to While Using the App or Never
- Android: Settings > Security & Location or Location > Toggle OFF Location
- If you do not wish to turn off Location, you can adjust the Location Accuracy Mode instead: Settings > Security & Location > Location > Mode > Battery Saving
Fetch New Data
Consider fetching data over pushing because push tends to use more power. Adjusting how often data is fetched can also help in conserving battery.
- iOS: Settings > Accounts & Passwords > Fetch New Data > set Fetch to Manually or automatically fetch data less frequently
Alerts and Notifications
Turning off notifications or limiting them to your essential apps will help preserve battery life.
- iOS: Settings > Notifications > Tap app > Toggle OFF Allow Notifications
- Android: Settings > Notifications > Tap app > Block all
Tried all of the above and your battery still loses juice quickly? Maybe it’s time to replace your battery.